- You see I wanted to make a comfy, easy , yet pretty skirt. So this "T" was perfect in color and texture, plus the beauty of T-shirt material is that you can leave the edges unfinished if you like, because they will not fray.I say yay to this project. Soooo,bought two and this is what I did....Measure how wide and long you need to make your skirt, plus add an inch on each side, and about an inch and 1/2 more to the length to allow for the elastisized waist you are gonna make.
- Lay your shirt #1 out. (I do it on the floor) Take your fabric scissor's and cut closely off the arm holes end neckband, so it look like a tube of fabric
- Cut down the sides in a slight A-line. Also cut a straight clean line across for your waistband. Leave the bottom of shirt untouched. Instant hem!
- Now the pretty part. I take the intended back piece of the skirt and cut a pyramidish panel out of the bottom. Mine was roughly 12 wide on bottom, by 12 inches on the sides, and 6 inches on top. Set aside.
- Grab shirt#2. Cut off again, armholes and neck and cut up the side and you will have one nice sheet of fabric that you will then lay out and cut out another pyramid shape that is about 1/2 to 3/4 in larger, so you can sew the panel back in when it's beruffled.
- So speaking of ruffles. I am very relaxed about the ruffles. I just started cutting strips of #2 shirt fabric .Longer for the bottom of the panel to shorter for the top. Keep in mind how long it will need to be when gathered to fit each ruffle row.
- Hand straight stitch loosely across the top of each strip and slowly pull to desired ruffled length. I start with the longest and sew the ruffle to the panel with the bottom of the ruffle just a bit longer than the hem of the panel. Continue layering upward sewing each layer just covering the sewn top of the last ruffle.
- When ruffled panel is complete you pin it to back of the skirt.Edges of panel should be sewn to conceal the edges .Voila!! Ruffled rump!
- Now take your front and back of skirt and sew up the sides, wrong sides out.
- Finally roll down your top of skirt to create you waistband ,iron down and pin if needed . Then if you can, adjust your sewing machine so you can sew around your waist band. Don't forget to make the tube to fit your elastic and leave it open just enought to fish your elastic through ,sew the elastic ends together,and hand sew your opening closed! Done!
Another Round of Writing About Modelling
3 months ago